How to find us?
Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of each Schengen Member state national authorities therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member states.
All foreign nationals, including U.S. citizens, requesting entry to Lithuania with a purpose of a long stay for more than three consecutive months, may submit application for a National visa or Residence permit.
National visa, type “D”, to Lithuania is a visa which allows foreign national to enter to the Republic of Lithuania and stay there for a period longer than three months (more than 90 days). National visa can be issued only for the period up to one (1) year.
A single entry national visa shall be issued to an alien who has been granted a Temporary or Permanent Residence Permit in the Republic of Lithuania.
A multiple entry national visa shall be issued to an alien whose purpose of entry into the Republic of Lithuania is long term stay in the Republic of Lithuania.
Ground for issuing single entry National visa to Lithuania
- for foreign national who has been granted a Temporary or Permanent residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania.
Grounds for issuing multiple entry National visa to Lithuania
- for students arriving to Lithuania for studies according to international student exchange programmes or student exchange programmes drawn up by higher Educational establishment in Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is a student arriving to Lithuania to the consecutive full-time studies at Educational establishment in Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is a professional sportsman or coach coming to Lithuania to undertake sports-related activities;
- for foreign national who is an artist coming to Lithuania to undertake professional activities;
- for foreign national who is coming to Lithuania to work and has work permit issued by the Lithuanian Labour Exchange under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour of the Republic of Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is coming to Lithuania to work requiring high professional qualification and has a resolution from Lithuanian Labour Exchange evidencing that his job requiring high professional qualification meets the needs of Lithuanian labour market, as well as for family members travelling together with foreign national;
- for foreign national who is a seafarer arriving to a ship flying the flag of the Republic of Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is a seafarer, where a ship, a member of the crew whereof the alien is, is undergoing repairs in the Republic of Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is a journalist accredited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania;
- for foreign national who periodically comes to the Republic of Lithuania to work or engage in any other lawful activity and whose main place of residence is in a foreign state;
- for foreign national who has submitted a request to issue or change a residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania;
- for foreign national who is not able to leave the Republic of Lithuania for one of the following reasons:
- an illness, another acute health disorder or physical condition;
- a personal circumstance which the alien was not able to foresee;
- force majeure. In this case, the visa (D) is issued for a period not exceeding one year;
- in other cases, when the purpose of the foreign national arrival in the Republic of Lithuania is a long-term stay in the Republic of Lithuania.
How to apply for National visa to Lithuania
Our Consulate Visa Section operates by appointment only. All applications must be submitted in person the day of the appointment, with no walks-in allowed.
When to apply for a National visa to Lithuania
A complete application must be submitted to the Consulate at least 15 days before the intended visit and cannot be lodged earlier than 3 months before the start of the intended visit. Make sure to apply sufficiently in advance.
Processing time of National visa application
|Visas cannot be issued on the same day. Expedited visa processing is not applicable.|
The decision on the issue of visa shall be made within 15 days after the receipt of visa application. In individual cases the period may be extended up to maximum of 30 days, in specific cases up to 60 calendar days.
Who can apply for a National visa to Lithuania at the Consulate of Lithuania in Chicago
In order to apply for long stay National visa to Lithuania applicants must be legal residents of one of the following States in USA:
Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
List of documents for National visa to Lithuania
A completed application form for National visa, type “D”, fully completed and signed by the applicant.
|Applications which are not fully completed, dated and signed will not be accepted. Please also indicate your e-mail address and a contact phone number in form.|
One passport-size (34x45 mm) color photo corresponding to the person’s age (not older than 6 months);
Valid travel document. Its validity shall extend at least 3 (three) months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Republic of Lithuania. A travel document shall contain at least 2 (two) blank pages and it shall have been issued within the previous 10 (ten) years;
Proof of legal residence in the USA;
A valid document confirming possession of medical insurance, whose amount is 5792,40 EUR (euros);
For single entry National visa, type D - A certificate from the Migration Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania about a decision to allow the foreign national to temporarily or permanently reside in the Republic of Lithuania;
For multiple entry National visa, type D - An original and signed Letter by the Inviting establishment, undertaking or organization of the Republic of Lithuania for the issuance of a multiple entry national visa. This letter must be original, signed, in Lithuanian language and addressed to a visa office which the alien is going to apply to for the issuance of the multiple National visa (Consulate of the Republic of Lithuania). Also this application must indicate: particulars of the establishment, undertaking or organization in Lithuania (name, legal form, registered office, code, the Register of Legal Entities, in which data on this person are accumulated and stored, the VAT payer’s code (where the legal person is a VAT payer), address, telephone number, fax number), the name and surname, position, telephone number and signature of a representative of the legal person; the alien’s name and surname, date and place of birth, the purpose of the arrival, the dates of the arrival and the departure, the address of the premises where the alien will be accommodated during his stay in the Republic of Lithuania, the name and surname of the owner of these premises or the name, address and telephone number, sex, citizenship, the series and number of the travel document, the address of the place of residence of the hotel/hostel or other place where the alien will be staying; the commitment to provide the alien with a proper accommodation and, where necessary, to cover the expenses of the alien’s return to a state which the alien has the right to be admitted to.
|For students in addition - the Letter of Acceptance from University in Lithuania in English language.|
Document certifying that foreign national is in possession of adequate means of subsistence and (or) receive regular income to survive in the Republic of Lithuania and has enough resources to return to the country of origin or foreign country to which he has a right to travel. A sufficient level of subsistence funds for a foreign national - for a minor foreign national it amounts to 0.5 of the minimum monthly wage for one month, while for other foreign nationals – to 1 minimum monthly wage for one month. A sufficient level of return funds amounts to 1 minimum monthly wage (about 300 EUR). These documents should be translated into Lithuanian or another language specified by a civil servant of the visa service;
Documents in relation to accommodation, or proof of sufficient means to cover applicant’s accommodation;
Non-refundable visa handling fee* For students visa handling fee is not applicable.
An applicant shall sign the statement, set out in the application form, declaring that he/she is aware that visa fee is not refunded if the visa is refused. Visa handling fee is subject to change each month. Please check all information regarding visa fee on our web site;
A self-addressed prepaid Express Mail envelope from US Post Office or UPS Office. NO FedEx. You may use one envelope per family if you buy “flat rate”.
The Consulate can request additional documents as application are dealt with on a case to case basis and information leaflet cannot cover all eventualities.
For more detailed information National visa type “D” to enter the Republic of Lithuania please visit website of Migration department under the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Lithuania.